Bye-Bye Quiet Books

Update: Please see Simply Fresh Designs DropBox for Download of quiet books.

The unfortunate news for today is thus: I cannot continue to share the quiet books with content from lds.org. Although I’ve tried very carefully to be honest and follow the lds.org terms of use, it appears the LDS Intellectual Property Division didn’t agree. They contacted me and said that images and text from lds.org are for individuals to create their own projects but not to distribute to others. Sharing or distributing anything I create using their images didn’t meet their terms of use, even though I wasn’t making any money.

Also, for your information, the IP Division said that printing quiet books, which contain lds.org content, through a professional print shop, such as Costco, was fine, as long as they were for immediate family only. The sharing of files with others was the violation.

Bottom line, I am having to indefinitely pull all posts and files for Quiet Books and Primary Sharing Time Monthly Themes. The LDS Church does have a process to request permission to use their content in this manner, and I plan to look into that, but I’m not holding my breath that such approval will ever come to pass.

So – for now. I apologize. I’m sad because I know thousands of you around the world enjoyed these quiet books. I feel selfish keeping them all to myself. I hope you can continue the tradition by creating your own books for your families. I’d be happy to create other quiet books in the future with original text and artwork (anyone out there want to volunteer to be the artist?!)… but we’ll see how things go after I have my baby in August.

Keep checking back for updates and new items going into the shop soon.

« Older Comments
  1. Cathy
    Cathy says:

Heather,
    Please add me to the begging list. Like other mother’s on this list, my son is full of energy and I struggle every Sunday to keep him quiet. I would love to have patterns of your quiet books. All the best with your new bundle of joy!
    cwray0909@yahoo.com

2. lynda
    lynda says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Such bummer. I would love to do those for my nieces and nephews. Please let me know if they ever become available again!

3. eLLe berry
    eLLe berry says:

Did you coordinate the pictures with the stories? Were these cards made up already in lds.org or did you do it? I can’t find such cards any where on their site. Any help is appreciated!!!

eLLe

4. Karen Freeman
    Karen Freeman says:

If you are able and willing to e-mail them I would absolutely LOVE a copy!!! I have a three-year old daughter, a 16-month old son, and a newborn so we can use all the help we can get when it comes to helping our part of the pew to be reverent. Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

5. Janet
    Janet says:

Thanks for all the tutoring for us into these pages, and are you allowed to just give us hints as to where we can find photos, etc. for us to make our own and maybe a few hints as to assemble them? Is that still an option? Sometimes all I need is an idea, then I can figure it out on my own, and feel good with my accomplishment

6. Lori
    Lori says:

Hi-
    This is the first time I have seen your blog and love the quiet book.. as well as everying else! Thank you for being so willing to share. I am going to make these as I know my kids will benefit from them! could you tell me what size you printed them and what binding you have found that you liked best.

Thank you again for sharing your time and talents!

7. Karen Egbert
    Karen Egbert says:

I’d like the quiet book information as well pretty please. I’m nursery leader and have been preparing gifts for our nursery children. This would be a great addition.

8. Chris
    Chris says:

This is a suggestion only, but there is a collaborative, volunteer-driven LDS website run by the Church here:

and there is a section on graphics and design (it is not running yet, but soon). Maybe you can propose this idea to them when it is running, or at lease send an email to them now.

While I understand your situation, I also work for another organization that has to keep tabs on all its images and graphics. Unlike you, there are many individuals who would use these images for not the same purposes, and rather than tying up resources in decision-making for each case, the Church has wisely decided to stop all usage.

I commend you for your great artwork and service to others, and admire your ability to find a workaround that follows wise counsel. It’s a little extra work for others, but I hope everyone can appreciate all the work you have done (even without images) and make their own personalized books for their own use.

Thanks for this, and setting a great example,

9. Sarah
    Sarah says:

I love your entire quiet book but am really wanting the print of the prophet and apostles. Is there anyway that you could email it to me? stephaa@hotmail.com I would love to put it in my kids scriptures. And mine too. 🙂

10. J Drummond
    J Drummond says:

Has there been a solution yet? I would love to make your books for my nursery kids.

This is frustrating as these aren’t being made for profit but to help kids be reverent. I came a day late and a dollar short (as always). 🙂

11. Karie
    Karie says:

came across your quiet books on pinterest. Like others not to computer literate to be able to get pictures on the pages….are you able to e-mail them out? sorry to pester you…hoping to do some for my grandkids. Thanks ahead of time.

12. Jaylynn
    Jaylynn says:

Came across your quiet books on pinterest. I am having trouble putting pictures on the pages…would you be able to email your quiet books ? Would love to have them for my 4 kids

13. Carolee
    Carolee says:

What a wonderful talent you have and I am so sad they will not allow you to share it, but I am guessing it is for their protection. If you are able to email the files with the pictures, I would love to get your quiet books from you. Then do I just email the file to costco to have it printed? Thank you for sharing. caroleebrown05@hotmail.com

14. Stacy
    Stacy says:

I also am wanting in on the quiet books with the pictures if you are allowed to email them or if they ever become available again. Thanks, they are so cute!!!

15. Julia S.
    Julia S. says:

Nooo! I just found these and was sooooo excited. I can’t believe that they will not let us print this with the images. I am a Nursery leader and wanted to make these available to my kids. If you can email the file with pictures I would love it. I am so sad I cannot print this off with pictures. If I cannot get the picture file from you I will try to make it. It will just not look as amazing as yours did! Thank you for making the words available still.

16. Michelle
    Michelle says:

Hi!

I just found your website with all of your awesome ideas! I love these quiet books, what a great idea! I have three little ones who would love these! Any chance you could share them privately to use just for our family??
    Thanks so much for sharing your time and talents!

Michelle
    michelleeboswell@gmail.com

17. Amy
    Amy says:

Any chance you can email? My wee one is very in to books and I’d really rather he has some sweet gospel oriented stuff to look through (he can’t do a busy book yet because he’s only 6 months!). If so, my email is upbeatangel at yahoo. Thanks!

18. Lindsey Briggs
    Lindsey Briggs says:

Hi. I love your design. I understand the nature of copyright and it can be very frustrating. I am a LDS photographer and I would love to collaborate with you on a project where you need high quality images. Here is a link to my blog http://lindseysbriggsphoto.blogspot.com/ . Most of what is show cased there is work I do for clients, but it also contains personal work as well. Working together we could create specific images for your ideas, that way you wouldn’t have to worry about copy right for the images and your designs would be available to give out to anyone who wanted them. I believe in producing beautiful things that invite the spirit and inspire our little ones minds. Your work is beautiful and uplifting. I would love to help you anyway I can.
    *lindsey

19. Anne
    Anne says:

Hello!
    I just found your posts about quiet books and I was wondering that with Elder Bednar’s announcement in Aug 2014 at Education Week about the Church allowing digital use of the Media Library if now you are able to make your quiet books with images available??? I hope so! Thank you!

20. Christine
    Christine says:

This IS by far the best and my favorite of all the ABC quiet books i have seen. I’m just another mommy out there trying to tame my 4 under 4 through sacrament. if there is ANY chance you could email me the template that would be fantastic! thank you so so much. ~Christine

21. Alissa
    Alissa says:

I am looking into creating a quiet book and saw through Pinterest that you had this experience! I had no idea that these books couldn’t be distributed this way since I have seen them all over the place. Anyway, I checked on the FAQ page on the church’s website and this is what they had to say:
    Can I put the image on my blog or website?
    Yes! We encourage members to use the images on the Media Library on their blogs and personal websites. And we would love it if you would link the image back to where you found it on the Media Library so others can download it from the Media Library too. (https://www.lds.org/media-library/frequently-asked-questions?lang=nld)
    Hope this helps you out!

« Older Comments